Useful Canal Links
If you are interested about the history of the Canal system, or planning a vacation and hire a canal boat. Here you will find all there is to know!
- Aire Valley Towpath Route: Links the 22 km length of towpath on the Leeds & Liverpool Canal between Leeds and Saltaire and is suitable for all towpath users.
- Anderton Boat Lift The official BW site with restoration progress information and a webcam. Located near Northwich in Cheshire, the Anderton Boat Lift is one of the greatest monuments to Britain's last canal age and known as the "Cathedral of the Canals"
- Association of Waterways Cruising Clubs (AWCC) British WaterwayWaterscape British Waterways new guide to enjoying the waterways - on foot, by boat or by cycle.
- Barnsley, Dearne & Dove Canals Trust: Helping to restore the canals, News and valuable links
- Bedford & Milton Keynes Waterway Partnership: Twenty-six organisations working together to build a new broad canal to link the Grand Union Canal at Milton Keynes with the RiverGreatOuseatBedford.
- Beverley Beck OnLine: Beverley Beck Canal joins the River Hull near the historic town of Beverley.
Bradford Waterways: Dedicated to the re-opening of Bradford's Canal. The plan includes, 4.5 km of new canal with 6 marinas and various water features.
- British Canals: Introducing the English Narrow Canals, particularly the Birmingham Canals
- British Waterways British Waterways is the organisation responsible for maintaining 2,200 miles (3,540km) of this inland waterway network today so that people can use it for a wide range of leisure activities - the many ways you can enjoy them, please visit our leisure website
- Canal Navigations: Welcome to Canal Navigations - a site covering some of the unique canals found in Southern England. For canals that are specifically in or around the country's capital city, please go to the London Canals
- Conservators of the River Cam: the official web site for the Conservators of the River Cam. We are the statutory navigation authority for Cambridge between The Mill Pond, Silver Street, Cambridge to Bottisham Lock with lesser responsibilities up-stream to Byron’s Pool.
- Cotswold Canals: The Cotswold Canals comprise the Stroudwater Navigation (or Stroudwater Canal) and the Thames & Severn Canal. Together the Cotswold Canals used to link the River Severn at Framilode, to the River Thames near Lechlade, both of which are in Gloucestershire, UK.
- Driffield Navigation Gallery: Dedicated to ensuring a wider knowledge of the part played by the Navigation in the history of the area, to promoting the Canal's restoration and use.
- Dudley Canal Trust The Trust has been restoring the underground waterways of Dudley since the early 60's and organises various trips.
Exeter City Council: The navigation authority for the Exeter Ship Canal.
- Falkirk Wheel Scotland, the Falkirk Wheel is the spectacular centrepiece of the £84.5 million ‘Millennium Link', the UK’s largest canal restoration project, developed by British Waterways to reconnect the Union Canal with the Forth & Clyde Canal, re-establishing east to west coast access for boats.
- The Fens Waterway Link The Fens waterways Link promises to be the most significant waterway development, connecting – it will connect the Trent Fossdyke, and Witham with the Nene
- GB CanalBoatHire informative website with many Links related to the british canals and boat hire
- George's Canal Boating in the UK and Europe some of the best Canal & Waterways listing you will find.
- Gloucester Docks and the Sharpness Canal: This site highlights the main features of Gloucester Docks and the 16 mile ship canal link to Sharpness and the sea. Brief details are given about the history of what can be seen today, with many comparisons of old and current views.
- Grantham Canal: “the romantic Canal” - many valuable information about the canal, including photos and interactive maps
- Hollinwood Canal Society ran from : The Hollinwood Branch of the Ashton CanalFairfield in Droylsden, through Littlemoss and Daisy Nook Country Park to Hollinwood.
- Ice Boats of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal: Based on work by the Nautical Archaeology Society
- Inland Waterways Association (IWA) The Inland Waterways Association – keeping our Waterways alive!
- Kennet Avon Trade Association Kennet & Avon Canal Trade Associations
- Leeds & Liverpool Canal: An online journal in words and photos documenting walks along the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.
- Leeds & Liverpool Canal Society Lots of useful information and history of the canal.
- London Canals: A site with a focus on the capital city's waterways.
- London's Inland Waterways: London Inland’s Waterways - a towpath and cruising guide.
- Manchester, Bolton & Bury Canal: valuable information about Bolton and Bury Canal
- Mileposts on the Trent & Mersey Canal: Pictures and information on the canal centered around its mileposts.
- Pennine Waterways: Peak Forest, Ashton, Rochdale, Leeds & Liverpool, Huddersfield and other canals in the area. Very useful site!
- UK Inland Waterways Links A Comprehensive listing of Canal and Waterways related sites in the UK.
- River Bann and Lough Neagh Association: RBLNA is a branch of the Inland Waterways Association of Ireland River Stort This Stort Navigation history is part of an excellent Bishop's Stortford and Thorley History and Guide site.
- River Thames Guide covers everything about the Thames from sea to source, Southend-London-Oxford. 1000's of restaurants, pubs, hotels, B&B's, boat-trips, property by the river and canals
- Scotland's Waterways: In Scotland the 137-mile (220km) canal network, originally built between 1768 and 1822, includes the Caledonian, Crinan, Forth & Clyde, Union and Monkland canals. Although small in number, they are some of the most famous and historic in Great Britain
- Severn Navigation Trust: Aims to ensure that the River Severn is properly managed to provide leisure and recreation for everyone whilst improving and preserving its wildlife.
- Stroudwater Navigation: Information about the Stroudwater Navigation and the canal Thames and Severn
- Sussex Waterways: Information on the river navigation's and canals of Sussex. Adur Navigation BayBridge Canal... - Chichester Canal... - Ouse Navigation... - Petworth Canal - Portsmouth & Arundel Canal... Rother Navigation - Wey & Arun Canal...
- Thames Path Online Guide: Details of the Thames Path and the associated locks, bridges, events etc. Thames at Maidenhead webcam
- Lancaster Canal The Lancaster Canal runs from Preston in Lancashire to Tewitfield.
- Towpath Treks photos of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal.
- Wantage Waterway Information on the Wilts & Berks Canal, the canal Trust and the East Vale branch in particular.
- Waterways Trust To promote the widest possible public awareness and enjoyment of the UK Waterways.
- Wessex Waterways Network
Wilts & Berks Canal All you want to know about the Wilts & Berks Canal. Historic or
- Wilts & Berks Canal Amenity Group The longest canal restoration in the UK. modern apppear here. Designed to compliment the Official Wilts & Berks Canal Trust site.
- World of Narrowboating All you need to know about Narrowboating.